October Gardening Checklist to Prepare for Season Change
October Check List for Fall
Here at Gutter Cover of Kansas City we’re always looking for ways to make life a little easier around the house. Having a schedule or calendar that advises what to do and when is certainly helpful for anything you have to maintain, such as a garden. We found some great tips in “The Kansas City Gardener” magazine to share with you in regards to gardening tips for October.
• Plant spring flowering bulbs through Thanksgiving for best results.
• Dig cannas, gladiolas, dahlias and other tender bulbs for winter storage.
• Begin winter rose care removing diseased leaves and provide good soil moisture.
• Sow fall germinating annuals such as poppies, larkspur or hollyhocks.
• Delay winter mulching until several hard freezes have occurred.
• Bring houseplants inside.
• Check plants for insects to prevent spread.
• Stop fertilizing until spring.
• Avoid hot and cold drafts on plants.
• Drain and store garden hoses and sprinklers.
• Clean and sharpen tools and wipe with oil.
• Continue to turn compost pile and keep moist.
• Store clay and other moisture-absorbing containers indoors to prolong life.
There you have a few tips that are bound to be helpful. For more information you can find “The Kansas City Gardener” on Facebook and are welcome to ask a question or give advice.